The goals for science education at Marian College are: scientific knowledge, scientific methods, social issues, personal needs, and career awareness.
Instructional pedagogy is based on investigative, inquiry based learning. These goals are directly linked to the Vic-curriculum.
- Scientific knowledge. There is a body of knowledge concerning biological, physical, and earth systems. For over 200 years,
our science education programs have aimed toward informing students of these natural systems. Stated formally, this goal is: Science education
should develop fundamental understandings of natural systems.
- Scientific methods. A second goal has centered on the abilities and understandings of the methods of scientific investigation.
The goal can be stated as: Science education should develop a fundamental understanding of, and ability to use, the methods of scientific
- Societal issues. Science education exists in society and should contribute to the maintenance and aspirations of the culture.
This goal is: Science education should prepare citizens to make responsible decisions concerning science-related social issues.
- Personal needs. All individuals have needs related to their own biological/psychological systems. Briefly stated, this goal
is: Science education should contribute to an understanding and fulfillment of personal needs, thus contributing to personal development.
- Career awareness. Scientific research, development, and application continue through the work of individuals within science
and technology and through the support of those not directly involved in scientific work. Therefore, one important goal is been: Science
education should inform students about careers in the sciences.
Science Information Year 11 2021 (1142 KB)
Science Information Year 11 2021 Presentation (12682 KB)
Science Information Year 10 2021 (7945 KB)
Science Information Year 10 2021 Presentation (17422 KB)
Science Information Year 9 2021 (12294 KB)
Science Information Year 9 2021 Presentation (20720 KB)
Science Information Year 8 2021 (5587 KB)
Science Information Year 8 2021 Presentation (16744 KB)
Science Information Year 7 2021 (7954 KB)
Science Information Year 7 2021 Presentation (14331 KB)